Next to the Basilica we find the University Palace with the Civic Tower or the clock tower. It used to be the centre for citizens’ assemblies. The palace was reconstructed at the behest of the mayor, Desiati, with the enthusiasm that characterized the 1700’s. A linear façade was added in local stone, placing upon the central balcony the high-relief carving of a horse which is still visible and represents the city’s coat of arms. The last floor was meant to house a prison.
Piazza Plebiscito, Martina Franca