Opposite the Mother Church we find the Great Tower. It was constructed on the city wall between the 11th and 12th centuries, and probably at the behest of Frederick II.
The Norman-Swabian tower, of parallelepiped shape, it has no embrasures and was certainly used only as a lookout tower and as a strategic part of the warning system for the Valle d’Itria. It was not by chance that it is built on the highest point of the hill and is visually linked with the fortifications of Ceglie messapica on the Ionian side and of Ostuni on the Adriatic.
On top, in the southern corner of the tower, there stands the statue of the patron saint San Nicola.
In 1860 the Palace of San Nicola was equipped as a branch of the national guard. After being a part of the Town Council’s offices, from which it gets its name Civic Tower, today it houses art exhibitions and hosts civil weddings.
Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi, 72014 Cisternino BR