A visit to Ceglie Messapica begins in the heart of the medieval town, the Castle with its Norman Tower 34 metres high which make up the original part of the fortified structure, and which supposedly goes back to around the 11th century. The tower, and its embattled crown, still preserves its embrasures and machicolations. Unfortunately this part of the castle cannot be visited while it is possible to enter the courtyard through a wide gate. Inside the atrium you can see the noble families’ coats of arms who succeeded each other as feudal lords (Sanseverino, Lubrano, Britto and Verusio), the inscriptions and other stone works of notable artistic interest. The stairway opposite the entrance leads to one of the residential parts of the castle which can be visited, made up of the Counsel Room, a broad vestibule with a vault decorated with pictures from the 1500’s and a long corridor which leads onto rooms which were the duke’s apartments with monumental fireplaces in stone and windows which open onto the churchyard of the Collegiate Church of the Assumption.
Via Damiano Chiesa, 11