A few steps away from Place Plebiscito, in Via Dante Alighieri, we find the Convent and the Church of San Domenico. The church is one of the most significant examples of the baroque style in the Valle d’Itria and marks a passage between the successful baroque style of Lecce and the lighter style of baroque of its neighbour Martina France. The façade has as its major decorative element the richly bossed entrance. The structure has only one nave looked onto by the chapels with baroque altars in natural stone richly decorated with canvasses which show the Madonna and scenes from the Way of the Cross. In 1688 the church was dedicated to San Domenico di Guzman, by the dominican friars that lived in the neighbouring monastery. A statue of the saint is found in the niche within the church.
Via Dante Alighieri